Home

Monday 18 May 2015

I Made It Monday - Peplum Top



This top is actually 2 layers of different sized Gingham which gives a great effect & it's really soft!

I was given some pre-loved clothes and when I saw this fabric I was instantly drawn to it as I have a soft spot for gingham.  What I did not love was the fact that it hung like a giant shapeless sack on me.  Unfortunately I didn't take a "before" photo but you can see my artistic (*ahem*) representation below.  Trust me, it was not good on me... mid thigh, large and shapeless with sleeves that hit just below the elbow... eek!

What I didn't have in my wardrobe was a Peplum Top.  Refashion time!  Below is an outline of how I turned the sack into a cute top:

I shortened the sleeves to above elbow and took them in (while still attached);
Took in the sides so it fitted my body but was still loose enough for me to pull the top on and off without having to add a back zipper;
Cut the top off at my natural waist and saved the bottom of the top which was already hemmed to be my peplum;
Trimmed the top off the Peplum piece to desired length, then sewed a long basting stitch along the cut edge;
Gently pulling on one of the threads I gathered the Peplum piece to fit the bodice then sewed the 2 pieces together;
I finished all the seams with my over locker (serger for those who don't speak Australian!)



Ta Da! A cute Peplum Top!

 
Photos c/o my wonderful Husband
 
This is one of those great pieces that works casually with jeans or more dressed up with a pencil skirt and heels.

I'm happy to answer any questions about a refashioning project you may be thinking of embarking on!

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you so much! You're also my first ever comment - so exciting!!

      Delete