Home

Monday 25 May 2015

I Made It Monday - Top to Kimono Refashion


Kimono refashioned by me /
Jeans refashioned by me so many times I don't think Gap can still take credit for them
 

This Monday I'm wearing a refashioned piece that started life as a top I bought while in Mexico in 2004. 

Yep, I tend to hold onto clothes even if I don't wear them because there is something about them I love.  I loved the fabric of this top.  I loved it so much that it didn't matter that it was not a flattering fit (not that I tried it on before buying) and made me look like I was wearing a frumpy maternity top!  Mind you, on someone much shorter the waist would have sat at the waist and looked lovely, rather than under the bust like it did on me.

11 years later I decided to do something with it!  I love the Kimono trend and was going to make my own when I remembered I had this top stored away in a tote.

Here is the basic outline of how I turned it into a Kimono from a frumpy mess (on me) into a fabulous Kimono that I've worn more in the past few weeks than I have in the past 11 years!




Making sure you can see the pretty side detail!
Shoes: Target Australia / Necklace made by me
 
Photos c/o my wonderful Husband
 
 
Have you got an article of clothing that you can't part with although you don't wear it? 
What could you refashion it in to??

13 comments:

  1. So cute! I might need to try this for Summer!
    Evolution of Glam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! This is a really easy refashion and gives a new trendy life to an old top!

      Delete
  2. This is really nice, I used to have a top like this, I need to get it back lol

    For refashion I do put some old jeans I hate into new denim shorts or capris and they work out so well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! If you have a top that would work for this refashion you need to get it back!

      Refashioning jeans into capris or shorts is always a great idea. Old denim is always so much softer and nicer than buying new denim shorts.

      Delete
  3. Love the kimono! Come and meet our adventures in Paris at Living Paris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! What gorgeous fabric. Seems you made a great choice by hanging onto this piece. I LOVE how you refashioned it and I'm sure it holds happy memories for you if you bought it on vacation. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth! You're right - the reason I held onto it so long was because I bought it in Mexico!

      Delete
  5. Allison, this is an amazing re-vamp! I am a former sewer with zero time! You have made me think about dragging the machine out of the cupboard for a little sewing time. Thanks. Bron x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Drag out that machine! I hope to inspire others to sew with my blog and this was a really fast & simple project. I do love how it turned out as it was so not a good look on me before... too bad I didn't take a "before" shot!

      Delete
  6. What a great way to re-purpose! I like what you have done and made such a great piece now!
    x Kirsty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kristy! The fabric was too pretty to not make the most of it! x Allison

      Delete
  7. You are so clever for refashioning this top. It is a lovely fabric for a kimono.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love the fabric too! x Allison

      Delete