Saturday, 19 November 2016

Muslin Magic!

Okay, so "muslin magic" is a bit of an overstatement for the title of this post!!

However, this is a favourite trick of mine when making muslins out of scrap fabric. 

When I'm using a new dress pattern for the first time the fit of the shoulders, bust and waist is most important to me.  Typically I'm making a full / flared skirt so my butt can be as big as it wants to be and the skirt portion will fit!  However, I have to more carefully consider the fit of my upper body (which is sometimes up to 2 sizes smaller than my lower half!). 

Rather than using up lots of fabric to make a muslin of the skirt, which I know will fit, I make just the top.  If the muslin works out I have a lovely new top to wear with jeans or a skirt.  If it doesn't work out, I haven't wasted many metres of fabric.

Here are 2 examples of my top half muslin making magic!

The first is The Rosie Dress by Cotton & Chalk.  I used a rayon purchased from my Church fĂȘte, sadly there wasn't enough to make a whole dress.  I was between sizes so went with the larger size.  Mistake!  It was huge, so huge that I think I lost some of the original shape taking it in.  The neckline is designed for a more endowed woman than I, so I had to take that in too.  All in all, if the fabric wasn't so pretty I'd probably discard this one.  I really don't see myself making the dress, which is a shame because I've seen fabulous versions of it on Instagram.  Who knows, maybe I will give it another go...

No idea what I'm doing here.  Clearly, I'm a professional model!

Pretty fabric!

The second top is The Olivia Dress also by Cotton & Chalk.  I was much happier with this one and have since made it into a long sleeved maxi dress.  For this muslin I used a cotton lawn which was gifted to me.  I didn't have to make any tall girl alterations for this one!

The shot everyone who sews can relate too
 - tucking in a loose thread!

Friday, 4 November 2016

The Fremantle Frock by Sew To Grow


I wanted to share with you my version of The Fremantle Frock, a new pattern by Sew To Grow.  As you know, I'm a sucker for anything with pockets and this dress is no exception.

I love the placement of the pockets and the slimming seams of this dress.  It was simple to make and is one of those great dresses that can be dressed up or down.

To fit my body I made the following minor adjustments:
Raised & narrowed the neckline 1.5cm
Lowered the pockets and added 2.5cm to the torso length
Added hem length (sorry, I don't recall exactly how much but hem length is a personal preference so do what makes you happy!!)

All in all, very minor adjustments for a great straight forward dress.

I made this version in shirting material (which I've since discovered wrinkles A LOT!) and a non stretchy knit type fabric for the navy side panels.  I think this pattern would be amazing in a scuba knit!!